Saving effort (not having to write something, or copy and paste)
Fixing mistakes and vandalism
A piped link is a link within the project or to a sister project which is labeled differently from the name of the page it links to. This allows linking a word or phrase within the text of a page rather than using "see also", even if the wording does not exactly correspond with the name of the other page. With a suitable browser and depending on the preferences set, one can still see what page is linked to: when you point at the link, the name shows up in a hover box and is also shown in the status bar.
[[coffeehouse setup|How to set up a coffee house]]
will show: How to set up a coffee house
The term piped refers to the use of the pipe character "|" used to separate the good description from the actual link.
Another example would be [[train station|station]] rendering as station. This is useful where the word "station" is used in an article on trains; from the context, it would be clear that a train station is meant. The piped link is more convenient to the user than a link to station which might be a disambiguation page.
Using a redirect as an alternative
An alternative is simply using [[How to set up a coffee house]] to create How to set up a coffee house (note that, unlike above, what pops up when you point at the link, if applicable for your browser, is simply the text already shown), and making How to set up a coffee house a redirect page.
This is convenient if the redirect is already there or will also be of use elsewhere; however, there are a few drawbacks:
- the popup does not show the page one will arrive at
- "Related changes" does gives the changes in the redirect page
- the redirect message on the new page slightly clutters it
On the other hand, one may prefer the link title to provide some information that is not in the name of the page one links to, such as the value of a unit in terms of other units. In that case one can make a page whose pagename is the info one wants in the link title, and which redirects to a page with a more appropriate name.
Automatic conversion of the wikitext (pipe trick)
If in a piped link the part after the "|" is left empty, it is converted to an abbreviated form of the page name on the left, as follows:
- if there is a colon in it, the leftmost colon and anything to the left of that is removed (this does not work for "MediaWiki User's Guide:" due to the apostrophe)
- if there is a text in parentheses at the end it will be removed
For example, the wikitext [[w:en:Pipe (computing)|]] is converted to [[w:en:Pipe (computing)|Pipe]], which is rendered as Pipe, and [[Help:Template|]] is converted to [[Help:Template|Template]], rendered as Template.
If there is nothing to abbreviate, i.e. there is no colon and there are no parentheses, then the link does not work at all, e.g. [[a|]].
Just like for the three or four tildes when signing on Talk pages and the use of subst, in a preview, the result already shows up in the preview itself, but the conversion in the edit box is not yet shown. Save and press Edit again to see the result of the conversion.
For links between language versions of Wikipedia and between language versions of Wiktionary, the pipe trick is either not applicable (if the link comes at the edge) or is limited in use because of the starting colon.
In some projects and some cases the pipe trick does not work and the piped link wikitext is not even rendered as a link.
For external links a space is used instead of a pipe character; see Help:Contents.
No Subject - Encyclopedia of Psychoanalysis-specific information
- Go|Search|Stop words|URL|Namespace|Page name|Section
- Backlinks|Link|Piped link|Interwiki link|Redirect|Category|Image page
- Logging in and preferences
- Logging in|Preferences|User style|Special page
- Keeping track of changes
- Recent changes (enhanced)|Related changes|Watching pages|Page history
- Diff|Edit summary|Minor edit|User contributions
- Filling the page|Starting a new page|List|Table|Special characters
- Template|Magic words|Renaming (moving) a page|Editing shortcuts
- Talk page|Testing
- Advanced templates|Array|Parameter default|Variable|Substitution
- Displaying a formula|EasyTimeline|Inputbox|Uploading files|Calculation
- Lists of resources
- Categories|Stub types|Infoboxes|Templates|Shortcuts
This page is a copy of the master help page at Meta (for general help information), with Wikipedia-specific templates inserted. To update the general help, edit the master help page for all projects at m:Help:Piped link. For Wikipedia-specific help, there are two templates - the main template, Template:Ph:Piped link, is the extra text at the bottom of this page, before the links to other help pages. Template:Phh:Piped link appears at the top of this help page and is useful for Wikipedia-specific lead text. You are welcome to copy the exact wikitext from the master page at Meta and paste it into this page at any time.